MULTICOLOURED BEET, APPLE AND FETA SALAD
The combination of earthy beetroot, salty feta and sweet dressing in this recipe makes a great dinner party or buffet salad. Using purple, golden and candy-striped beetroot adds a wonderful colour contrast, and is sure to impress dinner guests on any occasion. If you cannot get hold of multicoloured beetroots, the standard purple beetroot can be used to make a deeply purple coloured salad.
- Selection of different coloured and sized beetroot such as purple, golden and candy-striped, each topped and tailed
- Selection of apples, cored and chopped
- 50g vegetarian feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 100g rocket
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- 2tbsp honey
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Wrap each beetroot in tin foil and bake for 45 minutes at 180C or until soft. (Larger beets will require longer in the oven.) Be sure to cook the purple beetroots in a separate try as their juices will run and dye the other beets.
- When cooked, remove the beets from their foil to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining the honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a bowl. Add a few leaves of mint to the dressing to fully develop their flavours. Set-aside until serving.
- Using a table knife, peel the beetroot skins away from the flesh and chop into different bite sized pieces.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the chopped apples and add to the beetroot.
- Add the rocket, spring onion and mint leaves to the salad and season generously.
- Serve with crumbled feta and a drizzle of the mint-infused balsamic vinegar and honey dressing.
Check it out at The Jewish Chronicle: http://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/recipes/94163/roasted-beetroot-and-apple-salad