APPLE, CINNAMON AND CHESTNUT TART
- For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter, in small cubes
- 100ml cold milk
- 75g caster sugar
For the filling:
- 1kg dessert apples
- 200g chestnut cream
- 6-8 cooked chestnuts roughly chopped
- To make the pastry: sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar, half a teaspoon of cinnamon and the butter. Rub in the butter until the mixture is like breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add the milk while mixing until it forms a ball but is not sticky. You may not need all the milk.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for one hour minimum.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a 25cm tin or pie dish with baking parchment. Line the dish with the dough and prick with a fork.
- To make the filling: spread the chestnut cream over the dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Peel, quarter and core the apples, then slice them thinly
- Lay them in rows on top of the chestnut cream
- Cook for 35 minutes until the apples are golden brown.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the chopped chestnuts and sift over some of the icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.