POACHED PEARS WITH CHILLI CHOCOLATE SAUCE & MINT
A French classic using under-ripe pears, with a surprisingly good chilli kick
Time: 35 mins
- 4 Conference pears, under-ripe 1 Lemon 1tbsp Red plum jelly/conserve 2 Pinches cinnamon 1 Bottle red wine 500ml Water 100g Granulated sugar 100g Dark chocolate with chilli 50ml Double cream 25ml Water 25g Butter Salt
2 Bunches mint, leaves picked & sliced
- Peel and core the pears.
- Add the wine, water, sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon and red plum jelly to a pan and bring to the boil. Add the pears and gently simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- Make the sauce by combining the chocolate, cream, water and butter in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water, gently heating until melted. Stir together until sauce is smooth and season with a pinch of salt. Keep warm until serving.
- Remove the pears from the liquid and set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve one pear per person with the chocolate sauce drizzled over the pear, with a garnish of the sliced mint.